Monday, July 25, 2011

An Eventful Weekend.

The month of July has been one heck of a month; As it comes to a wrap. I remember this time last year. I had just broken it off with this woman. Our relationship was hell all around. So I had a break from it experiencing the town of South Park, San Diego for the first time since 2007. Had been a real treat. I remember my friend Kayla and went to Chris Vannoy's 20th Poet's Tree and I saw Alex and Traci's house in South Park and was blown away by the artistry in the town along with the historical aspects of the buildings. I was in a new world I felt. Then I had a great time at the Poet's Tree, and then I worked with Alex at Traci's brother in law, Billy's Picnic he was organizing, and of coarse Comic Con last year. Where I sold water to the thirsty masses, went to The Haunted Hotel for a little thrill and walked in the Zombie March of the city... This year kept that same feeling of amazement and learning experiences. I met new people this year, like a good friend Christina who I met in person. And was awesome to treat Alex Bosworth and I to South Park's Station Tavern Burger's. Then we went to Rebecca's soon after to read. Also, Vannoy's 21st Annual Poet's Tree was full of talented writers. I love going to Vannoy's and looking at all the amazing art he as created. Such a talented guy. Also, I got to see another good friend I hadn't seen a very long time. Her and I talked about got to enjoy each others company and walk through the Haunted Hotel for a little thrill. I was of coarse a jerk and trying to hide in the hiding spots. 

I am featured on the left. Comic Con 2008. At The Haunted Hotel. 

It was good seeing the Hotel and Haunted Trail crew again. I haven't seen them since last year. The Hotel was very fun. They did a great job. Aside, from coming from the Haunted Trail and all the old rivalry. I have always been a supporters of the company as whole. And have enjoyed Haunted Hotel, Frightmare on Market Street, The Haunted Trail, and Scream Zone. We are all on the same team is how I have seen it. The past couple of years there has been a bond of both houses, The Hotel and The Trail. Which is really cool. I have to applaud Josh for getting everybody together at Denny's or Rudford's and getting to know each other. But to sum this paragraph up. Great job Hotel and Trail for doing a great job this Comic Con. 

The Poet's Corner @ The Egyptian Tea Room

I am very excited to being doing a poetry/prose reading at my place of employment. I think the more exposure of writers and readers in San Diego the better and greater people will influenced to come up and write something. This first Poet's Corner will be on my good friend Alex Boworth's Birthday. So I dedicate this reading to him. 

This photo was taken the day before the Sun god Festival at UCSD. May 2011. 

Another event I was at this weekend was The Sugarland load out on Saturday night. I showed up about 9pm just as Sugarland went up to perform. I must say I am not a country fan. But Sugarland are very talented and I was actually liking their music. Plus, I met them coming off the stage and thanked them. They were very nice and showed their appreciation with a smile and warm thank you. Very nice people. Anywho, the load out was directly with Sugarland. So I got to talk to the truck drivers and had nothing but good things to say about the band. When I worked for the same company, ShowCall Productions. For Gary. I worked up in Fantasy Springs with Cody and I worked the Reba Mcentire concert, and I heard she is such the sweetest person alive. Maybe country stars are genuinely nice and pop stars are douche bags. 

Collapse, where local musicians, poet's, artists come together from 7pm to close of the bar at The Office in North Park. I first heard about this event from Alex. I had went down there the first time he read, and he kicked ass with "Radio Hindenburg" and "F.K.U." Then as we were heading out I ran into some friends i know from the tea room and local goth industrial shows. I found it to be a really small world. So i contacted the event creator, MoJo. And ask to read some of my short pieces. Plus, I found out my friend Samantha was going to be dancing. So yesterday I showed up to read. Met Vannoy and Emmons there. And then Traci and Alex showed up. Alex did a kick ass reading. Then later I met Sam and her mom, Sharyn. I was bummed I didn't get to see Chris read. I heard he started to read one of his pieces and the rowdy bar patrons would get quiet. So he started reciting his poems walking around in the crowd getting close to people. And the bar went silent. Man, I wish I would of seen that. I got to see Emmon read his version of Ginsberg's Howl, and I went up between an act. And I read my piece "Nonsensical Poetry" which got the audiences attention. But I felt "Cafe Wampeer" was little hard to read at this venue. So I be writing new poems that will work for this crowd. But I got a good revue afterwords from a couple of people liking my work. Which is really sweet. I stayed til closing of the event, and saw some very talent people. And I got to be with good company for the start to the end. 

A link of Alex Reading:
Here is the link of his reading:



Cheers, 
Brandon

P.S.
The Bunk Show coming soon

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got some great stuff coming up! It makes me happy that you were able to get out of a baf situation and grow as a person while still keeping your old soul intact. It's difficult to do most of the time and shows the strength of your character. More poems! Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss South Park, it was a great place to live. Well it looks like you've grown quite a bit since last year and I look forward to seeing you grow more. You definitely have talent when it comes to entertaining and that includes writing. Great blog post Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I love the Haunted Hotel and I wish we could've went. The timing was just wrong and Alex was not feeling it. But come Halloween, I'm there with you. The more haunted houses the merrier.

    ReplyDelete